View Single Post
Old 07-22-17, 07:55 AM   #341
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLF View Post
The reflections look good, apart from the light (halo) missing - that doesn't look right IMO. See screenshot 1
Okay, I hope in the next days you will get the time to test my tweaks of the light FX without halo but with water reflection controller. See one of my answers below for more details on that.

Quote:
I believe caustics are the reflection of light from 1 surface to another. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caustic_(optics)
Yes, you are right. More specifically, caustics are sun rays refracted by the wavy sea surface and reflected on other surfaces. This is how this optical effect looks in reality:

and this is how SH5 mimics it:

I know caustics are also featured in SHIII, but I don't know how well implemented they are.

Quote:
I would therefore expect to see light being reflected from the sea on to the lighthouse which I don't I'm afraid. However the light/shade does change when the sun moves around the tower. (See screenshot 2 and 3)
Yes, I don't see any caustics in your screenshot

Quote:
As Kendras reports, the model was black with speckles. I deleted the alpha channel and the light was rendered correctly but possibly specular reflections isn't working?
No, specular reflections are coming from the alpha channel. No alpha channel, no specularity

Quote:
I believe the reflection of the light on the water is more desirable as you have to be very close to the light to see the line under the platform which is still there. (See screenshot 4)
I think there's a misunderstanding here: to the best of my knowledge the main purpose of the RayTracedHalo controller, is making light sources to cast light on surrounding objects. When Kendras worked on the light effect (now stored in the Lighthouse_FX file), he added one to the light node, and this is where the light halo on platform's underside is coming from, I think. The controller has two states: "True" and "False"; when used in its main role, the controller must be set to "True", but I have read on the forum that the same controller could be used on some objects for making them to block the light from a nearby light source, so to prevent the light from affecting its back faces. As far as I understood, this is done by adding a second RayTracedHalo controller to the desired object, and by setting its flag to "False". This is exactly what I did with the platform, as i thought it could cure the glitch shown in your screenshot. When you tested my files, you reported that nothing had changes and I removed the controller (the one set to "False" from the platform, not the one one attached to the light effect, which is set to "True" and which has always been there from day one.
I then tried to add water reflections to the ligh effect, and attached a WaterReflectionController to it. When you tested this new version, you told me that the game crashed just after the first light flash and that you fixed the problem by removing the RayTracedHalo controller. That must have been the one stored in Lighthouse_FX, as the other one (the I had previously attached to the platform) had already been removed. Now my question is:

after you removed that controller, were light reflections working? was the lack of light halo acceptable?

I hope I made myself clear this time

Quote:
I also noticed a gap (not you) appearing between the tower and the base/rock as the sea level rises and falls – IMO not critical as underwater (See screenshots 5&6)
That's a bit puzzling too.

You said a gap "between the tower and the base/rock". Base/rock and tower are two separate objects, that's right. Their junction lies at the top of the concrete base (bottom of the yellow/black tower), and it is well above the sea level. Your screenshot and your wording clearly show that the glich happens underwater, near the water line, and that it only affects the concrete base, which is a solid mesh. Did you ever notice a similar glitch while testing other versions of the mod? Might the Caustics controller (attached to the base) have anything to do with it?

Quote:
Chart Icon is much much better. (Screenshot 7)

Quote:
Rock and tower both collisionable (Screenshots 8 & 9)

Quote:
As reported by Kendras, after shooting away the light – halo and top mark still exist. (Screenshot 10)
That was expected. I wish someone had tested v11 with patch 1 enabled on top of it

Quote:
Hope this helps

Out for most of day, so won't be able to test.
Sure it did! Thank you for your feedback and enjoy the week-end

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
The tower falls down, and then disappears.
Coool

I have one of the damage decals ready, and another one is in the works. When we finish with more important features/fixes, I can create a destroyed tower model to be linked to the main model through ObjectRemains controller (or, if it doesn't work, I can split the main model in two halves), and we can work on some 'concrete debris falling in the water' effect. What do you think?

P.S: can you please copy/paste your zone settings here?
I might decide to reinstall the game and to do some tests myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendras View Post
Nothing is working. I did exactly as you asked, and here is the result at the end
Okay, no problem: we will fix it. I would give up on that if I wasn't sure that a good specular mask could greatly improve the look of that model
gap is offline   Reply With Quote