View Single Post
Old 03-31-23, 12:30 AM   #1287
Dieselglock
Wolf of the deep

Downloads: 561
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfstriked View Post

whats your thoughts on the sinking without zero speed effect that NYGM has?

Silent running sinking effect that occurred from the bilge pump being turned off is super realistic IMO.No way to pump water out and the bilge starts filling and more rapidly the deeper you go.

That said I feel that coming to a complete stop and maintaining depth should be possible because of the negative tank.In a real world sub when the ballast tanks are filled the subs have slight positive buoyancy (done opposite in NYGM).The sole purpose of the negative tank is to be able to counter this slight positive buoyancy,whether for faster crash dive or to maintain a set depth.....

I am just not sold on this sinking when stopped function of NYGM.I would as a captain order to maintain periscope depth and so the negative tank would be filled and drained to maintain and being right at surface at periscope depth I would think not much compressed air is needed to pump air into this small tank.Just wondering is all......
It is my understanding that the negative was flooded when traveling on the surface to allow for fast diving when planes were set to dive position and the ballast tanks were vented. Once the dive was underway and at around a depth of 20m the negative was blown otherwise the boat would be overly negative when the main ballast tanks were flooded. I think the boat would have to be negative to stay submerged. I have read that good planes men were necessary to keep selected depth. This would have to necessitate some forward motion. The tanks could be adjusted for the amount of negative or positive buoyancy but the planes seem to be the most logical to maintain pitch control.
I personally like the negative buoyancy in NYGM.

NYGM STEEL COFFIN V5.5 / Rik007: SH-3 Night surface attack / CCOM12 FIFI / ONEALEX 1.53
Dieselglock is offline   Reply With Quote