View Single Post
Old 07-12-19, 06:24 AM   #8
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Hello Coyote,

I'm currently busy working on a megamod list which will be soon ready for download and will contain a more easy gameplay compared to WoS, more oriented towards the stock game, but with many bugs taken away.

For the moment I can give you these tips to turn WoS into medium difficulty:

- The gameplay options that you use during campaign can only be set in the sub pen, not in the main menu;

- in the game options, switch manual TDC off to play with Auto TDC; also keep the 'hide map contacts' unchecked, you can change the severity of that during game;

- Auto TDC is crazy simple, too simple to my taste:
lock target, unlock target to get the firing solution into TDC computer, fire torpedo; however you can switch to manual TDC by clicking on the WO near the optics to get away from this arcade play, in which case you have to gather and enter speed, AOB, range, bearing that you can determine in different ways.

- You can increase/decrease difficulty by launching the map options in-game and make enemy hydrophones, enemy visibility range appear or disappear on the map; in the OFEV you can set this to be permanent when you launch game;

- Good torpedo firing position is not enough, you need to set magnetic/impact setting for torpedo when appropriate (in bad weather don't use magnetic), then the right depth for the torpedo running; the right speed according to the target range. Then, with the first Steam torpedos, don't be surprised if enemies can easily evade them, the torpedo bubbles were visible at long distances...Better be 800m close and set the speed to be fast.

- For faster ship identification you can set in the OFEV (in the SOAN tab) to automatically launch the Ship ID book at the right page when identifying a ship (you need to load the optional WoS mod)

- Get away from the first campaign missions by typing 'silentotto' in the main campaign screen, you will be able to start where you want in the war. I find 'Coastal Waters' much too difficult for starting players, chose 'Happy times' to start with, enemies won't have radars to spot you yet and the game variety is more interesting.

All in all, I find the damage modelling for the sub much too severe in WoS and the realistic aspect way too overdone, also these guys on merchands that fire deck guns from 4000m away with high precision must be Superman personified.... A reason to also look for alternative mods, although I find WoS the best megamod around for stability, grafics and setting possibilities. You can turn WoS into an easy game, no problem.

I hope these little tricks will help you, have fun!
XS

Last edited by XenonSurf; 07-12-19 at 06:47 AM.
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote