View Single Post
Old 10-31-18, 10:00 AM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Here's the fun part. CapnScurvy, s7rikeback and myself have been discussing this, and my "build" is weird. System shows version 10.0.17134.17134, which is a strange set of numbers after the last period. If I look at the actual abstraction, it'll tell me 10.0.17134.285, which is NOT the latest (the computer is still downloading something though). Update shows that 1803 successfully installed on August 14, 2018, after three fails. The last update (besides a Flash Player update) shows two updates, for 1803 Cumulative. One in September, one in October. I have been having issues since August with this, but in September it got worse, but the computer still functioned as desired. The last one is the one that borked everything else, and came across last Thursday / Friday the 25 / 26 of October on my machine. I have tried "Advanced Options" and cannot change settings. Win10 also will not let me remove the last, much less any other updates. I no longer have restore points older than October 26th at 02:52 hours ~ after the update. Very strange set of circumstances. At least, I'm hoping they are rare - although I do know that s7rikeback experienced an almost total loss on his computer. I don't know if I trust any files transferred from this computer to another, but I'm trying to move more data off of this thing and then will check and be sure that it read the data OK. It takes ~forever~ for files to transfer, almost like they've messed with the SATA interface set-up. When I experienced my first set of noticeable issues a few weeks ago, I ran Chkdsk on this thing, and did a scan of the sectors, thinking that something must be wrong with the hard drive. Several hours later - nothing wrong... So it (almost) has to be the OS...

Edit: Well, I've given up... It won't even transfer files properly. I've got strangely named stuff on this Win7 computer in the "Shared" network folder that had shown to have transferred fine from the Win10 box. It almost looks like cryllic, but it's not. windows 7 doesn't open the files. I right-click on them and Open With Notepad++, and they look to be digital files, or binary, and not text files, like they are on the Win10 beast... Thankfully, I don't have anything important on the machine, but still... I did find an article where the earlier data loss is from MS using OneDrive for the backup, and then deleting the wrong folder after supposedly moving the files to a "safe" location, leaving the User with an empty folder on their hard drive... I have not experienced that issue much, though I was missing some files. My main issue is that the computer at first glance works. But upon closer inspection, it does NOT. I can use my ethernet to connect to the internet, but Vivaldi has been changed. My old Photoshop LE no longer opens, but my "replacement" Gimp 2.10.6 has now been altered and different funtionality. NONE of my SH4 inistalls work correctly, and while most of the mods ~look~ like they are there in JSGME, and I do get different graphics screens, I am not getting the same game as before, and thiings do NOT spawn in the game. Very strange. All of my SH4 installs have now had their file properties changed to Read Only, and changing that to untick the box at first looks like it works, but then looking at it a few minutes later, the files are once again Read Only. Similarly with LAA. All of the files that had LAA "True" previously are now "False". I switch them to "True", looks fine, but go to run the game and it doesn't work correctly, go back to LAA and the setting is "False" again. These are NOT in a "protected" folder. I have not attempted to run Steam yet for my SH3 and SH5 installs, but I do know that all of the work I had put into activating The Wolves of Steel has been for naught. The files no longer even reside in the MODS folder. In fact, there ~is~ no MODS folder... Same with my SH3 GWX. No MODS folder... - Does anyone know if the SATA interface can be changed, like in Win7? Or is this maybe a UEFI alteration by the OS? My computer is a quasi-UEFI box, an old first gen i3, not fully compliant...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 10-31-18 at 11:47 AM. Reason: The Plan, Man...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote