Thread: [WIP] "Lochinvar" Clyde puffer
View Single Post
Old 02-27-21, 03:41 PM   #32
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Wow, thank you for your many answers guys, I didn't hope to get that much attention!

For the moment my generic model will represent private-owned puffers. Though built to a similar design, VIC's had some peculiar features, most notably the open wheel. I have found detailed plans for those boats, so they might be the subject of a future mod.

With your suggestions in mind, I have come to the following conclusions:

- Most boats will feature the typical black top/red keel hull paint scheme, with deck and superstructure painted in lighter color and funnel sporting a variety of color combinations, as used by some real ship-owners. Later on, some boats might get an overall grey repaint, but that will be more an exception than the rule.

- Being limited to inshore navigation, most boats won't fly any national ensign. Exceptionally, some boats will sail under the union jack, in which case the flag will be hoisted from a flagstaff at the stern.

- Alternatively to the Red Ensign, or in addition to it, a few boats might fly a mast-top house flag.

- Some rare boats will hoist a jib sail on their forestay

- Early in campaign, a few boats will feature navigation lights and/or illuminated portholes, but soon they will be darkened like te rest of British shipping.

Talking about damage, I won't add any 3D internal compartments, but the following parts will break apart if collided by gun shells or bombs: mast, lifeboat, cargo hold cover, funnel, part of the wheelhouse, propeller, rudder

I have recently finished the UV unwrapping of the model and I am currently working on the ambient occlusion map. The next step will be creating some good diffuse, specular and normal maps.

Stay tuned for screenshots in the next days.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote