Old 08-03-16, 09:49 AM   #1021
cdrsubron7
Sink'em All

Downloads: 305
Uploads: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I must have, eh?...

We do have an issue, on my computer, with my install... I can't get back to Pearl. I've tried three times this morning, and each time I get close, the machine shoots the game out from under me and throws up the ole "This game has quit working". The first time, I was coming in with a TC setting of 4096, and it crashed after "radar contact!" from one voice, and then "bearing 356" in a twisted voice, like the voice is a man's, but is playing about twice the speed that it should. Went back to my saved game, which I didn't save at Midway, so I'm back about the 144th longitude... nutz. Second attempt, I saved at Midway. Came toward Pearl, and reduced my TC to 2048 coming in, never went above 256 after the first radar contact. Strange thing, same voices are doing the announcements. Crashed just as the first dialog popped-up asking if I wanted to re-fit or end patrol at Pearl. So I re-loaded my Midway save and tried again. This time, I came in at 1024, and reduced to 64 TC as I approached Pearl. I took my time each time "radar contact" and "bearing 35x" came across, then I'd TC to 32 or 64, but I'd hit the "+" s l o w l y between each hit to get there, and would usually get interrupted. Sonar had maybe 3 contacts... I'll bet I got a good two dozen "radar contact" reports, at least... Anyway, about 12 minutes later (yes, I'm trying to watch the clock, 'cause I got other things to do), I finally get to the "Re-fit, End patrol" dialog, and it didn't crash. Hurray! Until I answered and clicked on "End Patrol", and then it asks "Do you want to dock at Pearl Harbor"... why, yes, why wouldn't I?... It crashed... Needless to say, I've given up for now and will try again later. I think I'll save out around Kauai so I don't have to put up with all that TC and waiting, getting impatient, and expecting another crash...

First patrol... and this is another strange part. When I saved yesterday, it was after another airplane radar contact, so we went deep to do the obligatory Ahead one third for the rest of the day and surface at night, when the radio operator comes on the message box and says "New objective!"... Well, it'll just have to wait, we're going down for the plane that is coming right at us (again), from Tokyo apparently hundreds of miles away (or perhaps some aircraft carrier that is stationary, so my sonar can't hear it...tic), with no hope of ever returning, just so he can see if we're out here... Anyway, when we pop back up at 2130, the "new" objective is to patrol the South China Sea... Now, if that would have come across like six days ago, OK, I could have done that instead of troll up and down the Eastern coast of Honshu, only finding airplanes and destroyer patrols... Oh well. How much fuel do they think a Porpoise can hold, anyway? Still gotta get back home and get re-assigned, to a desk, I guess...

All of this brings up the question(s): How do we check the functionality of the Campaign stuff in FotRS (besides this frustrating exercise in apparent futility), and is there a way to reduce the number of planes and ships that "patrol" around Midway and Pearl? Maybe perhaps it's one of the ships or planes that we're encountering approaching Pearl that is causing the CTD?...

btw, this is a Core 2 Duo Quad-core Q8300 Yorkfield 2.5ghz cpu in an Intel DP43BF LGA 775 Intel P43 ATX Motherboard with 8 gig of Crucial ram, a GIGABYTE GV-R455D3-512I Radeon HD 4550 512MB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express video card, and a 440w ps. Not the latest-greatest by any stretch, but definitely more than what SH4 and any mod would ever need...

This is a problem I mentioned awhile back, and it was just passed over. I had this same problem years ago with SH4 with the game crashing when trying to return to base, then Ducimus came along with TMO and removed the air traffic over the bases as it really wasn't needed.

Head Deep and Keep'em Astern" - LtCDR Samuel D Dealy
SHIV Guide | Imperial Japanese Navy | US Submarines

Last edited by cdrsubron7; 08-03-16 at 10:20 AM.
cdrsubron7 is offline   Reply With Quote