View Single Post
Old 05-28-08, 09:19 PM   #240
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautilus42
Hi lurker_hlb3, I like your OpsMonsun V200 Mod, but I found some "Bugs" in your MOD.

1. I think the AirB_Visual and AirS_Visual Sensors in your AI_Visual_Sensors.dat (OpsMonsun V200 ) must reworked. How it is possible that a Liberator_Bomber attack me everytimes, if I at 80 meter Depth in the Biscaya 1943. Has the Allies_Pilots Eagle_Eyes or "underwater_radar" or maybe Special_SonarBuoys?
Since I'm the brainiac who's ultimately responsible for that, ill field this one.

From TM's FAQ:

Quote:
21.) Planes are detecting me at impossible depths! What gives?!

This mod assigns additional visual sensors to unit types. One of these sensors goes to just aircraft. This visual sensor gives aircraft the ability to detect shallow submerged objects. However, there is a small problem. The radius of visual detection can be adjusted, just not the depth. There is a long drawn out explanation for the way things are set the way they are, but suffice to say, yes occasionaly a plane will make a detection at a seemingly impossible depth. Such occurances are by my experience however, rare. Submerged visual detection by aircraft, isnt a 100% thing. Several factors come into play such as, what angle your sub is to the viewing plane (bows on vs broadside), state of the sea, lightinig level, fog level, etc. Every step has been made to ensure that submerged detection is as realistic as the game engine allows, and fair to the player. Visual detection was even made to be effected by thermal layers. So all that can be done, has been done. You may wonder why this was one at all. Simply because the positive aspects of this particular mod far outweigh the occasional scruple. In the end this is a MODIFCATION, a mod is really nothing more then a hack at a finished product. Its not like i have acces to the source code to effect "real" changes.

Now, your probably wondering why do this at all? Because when i orginally hatched up this modification, i had the clearer waters of the pacific in mind. As a minor example, see the first picture in this url:
http://www.navsource.org/archives/08/08360.htm

Now if such visual detection in the atlantic is possible or not i don't know. I would hazard a guess that it probably is, but probably not to the extend that was possible in the pacific.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote