View Single Post
Old 02-26-22, 11:14 PM   #596
Revus
Mate

Downloads: 223
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
I am very confused by your CTD issues, I rarely get CTD and very reports of repeated CTD. Here are some things, a checklist if you will, of things to consider, just in case.

1. Make sure have LAA enabled properly. One of the most frequent

2.A basic SH 4 rule, that applies to all mods, versions of game etc is never save and reload save that is within 50 nautical miles ( I try to make it 100 to be safe) of land, port, enemy vessels, sunken vessels/site of sinking . Even if don't appear to have a contact, always do a hydrophone sweep , make sure not picking up anything distant (even if no noise audible, make sure green light is not actuating when you train the dial on the bearings) Some reason game acts weird when trying to load saves made within "contact" range of other ships etc. Not sure if you did, just letting you know as this can be a source of problems.

3. Excessive use of time compression can, on any rig, set up etc cause a CTD.

4. Never save/reload when submerged

5. I have also found that upon returning to port, make a clean save and conduct next patrol with it, repeat each time return to port

Example

BarbHomePatrolOne is my initial in port save for USS Barb
I go out on patrol etc, return home. In port I make a temp save.

In that temp save I change up crew, equipment etc for next patrol, then save
BarbHomePatrolTwo and go back out on patrol.

I've found this helps avoid corrupted saves

5. Go to the whichever drive SH 4, for example C:/documents/SH 4

delete the SH 4 folder. Now you will lose saved games, but it also gives a fresh start to SH 4 and can often solve problems.

6. Do a complete fresh install of SH 4, the TMO Update mod, all mods etc.

Delete the mods unzip install new versions. Rare but sometime you get a bad corrupted zip. I had one with FORS once where for whatever reason key files were missing causing ctd. I unzipped again reinstalled. Files were there, problem solved.

Als, mentioned in a previous post the huge number of DD's spawning. This was a legacy bug I did not know about until after release, it has been corrected for new version. Basically a random destroyer supposed to spawn every so often was set to spawn every few hours if i recall, most likely by a typo. So player comes into contact could have potentially hundreds if not thousands of vessels which will crash even the best rig when you get within "render range".

Hope this helps as I am concerned about the CTD issue, want you to be able to enjoy the new TMO. Don't get discouraged, even if as last resort have uninstall reinstall SH 4 and mods.

Oh yes, I forgot this as well...

Make sure SH 4 is NOT installed in the program files or program files (x86) directories. At setup should choose to install in (for example) C:/UBI/SH4

Unfortunately, the default file path seems to cause issues as well, someone else can explain the particulars of this but it is true as I found out some time ago.

*Another big one I've found for ensuring a good save game:
Always save in control room. Not on deck, not at the Con, not doing anything. Just standing absolutely still next to your trusty quartermaster at the chart table.
Ive found saving it from any other station causes odd things, up to and including all in-boat gauges to read 0 (compass, depth gauge, hydrophone nearly unusable). Can really screw up the whole patrol.

Been on a bit of a silent run, only been able to get back into game for a VERY short stint over the past couple of months. When the update comes out, will it be compatible with this version's careers? or will we need to do a fresh mod install?
Revus is offline   Reply With Quote