Old 07-14-20, 05:16 AM   #2976
Rhodes
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna;2683004
Although mainly known for his Samurai films like [I
The Seven Samurai[/I], Ran, Sanjuro, and Yojimbo, Kurosawa had a flair for capturing the smaller scale 'epics' of modest human interaction like Dersu Uzala; one of his greatest such films is Ikiru (To Live), the story of an aging low level bureaucrat who has faithfully worked at his job for over thirty years and receives a diagnosis of about a year left to live; virtually ignored by his family and a cypher to his coworkers, he sets out, alone, to try to make sense of the purpose of life; the film really captures the torment and realization of the main character; I first saw this film in the early 70s on PBS; a film well worth seeing...

<O>
Indeed. Two years ago I decided to see several Japanese films, re-seeing a few and seeing others for the first time. Ikiru was one of those I saw for the first time. Incredible film, the bureaucracy of japan the struggle of the main character.

Saw several of the samurai: Hara-kiri, Sword of Doom and others.

High and Low was a surprise, great film by Kurosawa. I liked to see the actors that always portrayed samurais in a contemporary film.
Rhodes is offline   Reply With Quote