Old 05-16-08, 01:48 PM   #23
Deamon
Commodore

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sung
Hello Deamon,
thank you for the words. I`m very pleased about your offer to work on your project, but i think i'm not the right guy for this.
I fear that such great projects never come to a end.
Very true but I am not a lunatic and facing an never ending development time I came up with a special deign that allows me to brake down the big thing in to smaller steps and achieve the big goal in smaller steps. That means we are working on a serie of smaller sims, adding to each release a new dimension instead of on a big one for ever. This makes the whole thing achievable but still we can stick to it for a long time if we want to.

Quote:
I would like to work on a small and overlook project.
Yes but you see where it leads you too. Actually you ended up to work for 6 years and non of the projects got finished. Lost 6 years!

If you do not want to loose 6 years again it is time for you to seriously reconsider your development approach! You do something wrong!

If you have commercial intersts you maybe should apply to a company and let you pay for what you do. But if you want to do it commercially the indi way, then the only way I see for you is to make it all alone because it is so hard to find someone on whome you can depend on. You reall should have read a lot about the gaming industry, you would see it is full of stories like yours. Infact this is the first thing I did and realized soon what I should and should not do. This helped me a BIG time to avoid beginner death traps. I made my lessons in game design and came up with a design that I am now very confident in to. I am sure it will be a success, at least I am sure I can finish the first release.

Quote:
A Game or Simulation project like yours is so difficult and complicated in programming that i had no idea where to start.
I have of course design documents and spec lists and a road map that will tell you what you need to do and of course a new artist have my full guide. So no one who comes to the team will need to worry about not knowing what he is supposed to do. I am not letting the people sitting alone. We work in a very close relation.

Quote:
After all, the models and gfx should be historic correct in every part and that is my problem. Because I'm not a technicain or somthing else. I'm a hobby artist - not more.
You seem to understand very well what we need. But the important thing for an artist that comes to us is that he is willing to improve. If you are not willing to improve you might be wrong in game development anyway. This is especially true for IUF. We dwell very deep into the subject and the results that comes from it are wonderfull!

We also have very concrete commercial goals but even if we wouldn't reach them we would do it anyway because we love the subject!!!

We LONG for the right platform that satisfies our hard core longings. We are after all interest driven in the first place. The commercial stuff comes in second place for us. This is the attitude that creates unique and great games. And this is also a prerequisit for commercial success isn't it ?

Work on a concept that works, even if it takes long. Better to work a long time on a project that succeeds at the end than many smaller ones that goes down the drain, imo.

We are still very few but we are a very rare bunch with rare qualities. Our biggest asset is our dedication and almost infinite stamina.

Especially in game development you need a long breath.

I certainly appreciate your pragmatism, you look for a MANAGABLE and ACHIEVABLE project, with an forseeable release date. This is why you would look for small projects.

I feel being just an artist is the wrong position for you in this porjects. In my opinion YOU should be the project leader and project owner, and owner of the code. YOU should decide who should be taken into the team and who not. So if the programmer goes away then you contract another one and push it through the finish line. Or at least add a clause in the contract that carries over the ownership of the code to you in the case the coder gives up before the project is finished. This way you can continue with another coder when the old one drops out. You get the idea ?

You can't depend on others. He who counts on others turns up to be counted out. If you want the guarenty that the project gets finished you need the full control , you need full responsebility and you need redundancy. That means if the coder drops out go to the blitz3D forum make a job offer and contract another one.

YOU have to be the garantee that the project will be completed. Cause ther is no other guarantee!

If it can work out somehow then THIS way. I have yet to finish my own project but you maybe notice that I did my homeworks. I can only say learn from the mistakes of others. You don't need to repeat the sad history a second time.

If I listen to you and see your stamina I see you might be the right guy for the leading position.

But back to my offer. So if you are happy with any project as long as they are small than you are indeed not the right guy for us. I indeed look for people who do not scare away from the level of detail we go into but for people who actually feel attracted by it!!!

I look for people who would be happy to get an opportunity to dwell deep into the subject. So I look for people who are not happy with just any project that works but for people who are looking particularly for a project like this, people who have the right appreciation for the chance they get with it. Basically for people who have waited for this maybe for a long time.

I look for people who are haunted by the same idea like we are and give them an opportunity to actually do something for it. So our project is very idea and spirit driven.

Quote:
You ask for the prototypes of the projects. They are all running. For example the strategy game: Frontlines - Operation Iraqi Freedom was in Beta.
All projects are contracted with a written agreement hedged. This includes the code as well as the graphics. Our focus has always been commercially and therefore I can not offer demos or parts of the projects. I have only compiled code, no source.
Yes yes, but you have played all of this demos, right ?

And besides that, so you are doing a project with someone who cancels them in a state like beta and then just go to the next one, with the same guy ?

How comes he starts a new project with you although he do not have time/interest to finish the last one ?

Last edited by Deamon; 05-19-08 at 07:25 PM.
Deamon is offline   Reply With Quote