View Single Post
Old 08-06-08, 12:11 PM   #10
Randomizer
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Typical Russian
1. A problem at a rate of a demo? I think that was not present. A problem in that that developers have accustomed players to big sizes of the games. It is sometimes inevitable. And more often simply speaks about unwillingness to optimize the product. Really you the size of the program thinks, what the more, the it is better? If so to us will not make the big work to increase the size of a demo up to absolute any. If will be 1 Gb you will be impressed more?

2. The player receives the same result as in history. It shows, that the ships and game system are capable to give realistic result. Without knowledge of an epoch, tactics and the ships will play difficultly. If you wish to feel the participant of the true war this will be game for you. And if you wish even times to feel the most invincible, magnificent, remarkable and so on with this there will be problems. Have got used to fast result, wish to win only? I understand it, but I do not support.

Yours faithfully
Totem Games
Am looking forward to final release, the demo seems to hit the highpoints and the subject cries out to be done well IMO. I plan on purchasing Ironclads: ACW.

Observations regarding the lack of visual damage came from the real Virginia had (by most accounts) lost her ventilators, funnel, boats and davits and was down by the head when Monitor drew off. In my second try successfully ramming Monitor fully broadside at full speed (a difficult evolution when the target is smaller, faster and handier) produced no visual or actual damage to Virginia at all. Historically rammers suffered along with the rammed.

Liked that a loss of speed takes some time to make up, a characteristic of steamships that is usually understated.

Liked that only those broadside guns that bear onto the target actually fire.

Wasn't impressed with the ambiant background sounds, they sounded more like a modern factory floor than a reciprocating steam engine.

Will the final version have any ship/shore actions, running past forts and the like?

Are there going to be usable wooden ships and 'tinclads'?

Is the game action purely tactical?

EDIT:
Just finished a 100-round action as Monitor, the demo ends after this time representing some 8+ hours real time. Learned to use her manouverability and speed advantage to stay (for the most part) on Virginia's starboard quarter where I hit her a total of 61-times (after I started keeping track), mostly at point-blank range (70+ % ph). She lost at least one-gun, her after pivot rifle because after about round 30 or so, it never fired back at all. At end game Virginia had only 2% damage.

It would appear that either 11" Dahlgren's are useless in Ironclad ACW terms or Virginia's (Depleted Uranium?) armour is immune to solid shot and any behind-armour effects from repeated hits.

I recall the old Great Naval Battles Vol 2 would not apply additional damage to areas that had already been hit although this was subsequently fixed on a patch. I wonder if what I saw here is a similar bug.

Good Hunting

Last edited by Randomizer; 08-06-08 at 03:14 PM.