View Single Post
Old 08-03-20, 04:27 PM   #9
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
not really..... because the AI can only simulate enemy capabilities by using percentages. the AI cannot simulate fear, visual recognition, training(or lack there of), confusion, fog-of-war. all it's got is percentages.

after thousands of career-missions, i can remember being able to successfully execute a surface torpedo attack just once. and i was scared s%itless...simulated, of course: too many simultaneous things happening and you are running the entire boat.
also, as you indicated above, once you are detected, the enemy becomes deadly-lethal very quickly.
some guys will respond here that they can do it with regularity however i suspect that the AI-capabilities were turned very favorably towards the Kaleun.
keep in mind that only certain WWII skippers, at the right opportunity, were able to successfully prosecute a night surface attack.

Have to disagree, the night surface attack became standard and preferred method used by US sub skippers around end of 1943 and to end of war as they saw the success the Germans had as well as the few US skippers who took the initiative to us this method of attack. The US Navy even began "Convoy College" training subs in night surface tactics on friendly convoys in Hawaiian waters. Searchlights simulated gunfire if I recall. Sometimes fired practice torpedoes. I've thought about writing realistic training missions for the new construction career in TMO.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote