View Single Post
Old 08-02-20, 02:16 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
A few nights ago I came across a TV show called 'Hell Below' on the Smithsonian channel I think that is about submarines during WWII. There are a few U-Boat episodes, a handful of Royal Navy episodes, and several U.S. Subs in the Pacific episodes. The episodes about the U.S. Subs like the Tang, Wahoo, and Harder are my favorite. Anyway in one of the episodes they talk about how some U.S. Navy captains would conduct surface torpedo attacks at night, sometimes from within the convoy. I believe it was Richard O'Kane who did this while commanding the Tang, but don't hold me to that. While watching that I thought that would be great if I could do that in SH-IV but I know there is no way that could be done with the way the game is now. I am running TMO with RSRD-Campaign and a couple of minor environment mods. The closest thing I have been able to do to that is at night with heavy heavy seas I have come up from very deep (like 500 feet) to periscope depth at 2 kts, and if I time it right I can come up within a convoy. I know if I where to surface they all would fill me full of holes. A precious few times I was able to time everything just right and fire off all 10 tubes to cause allot of havoc, and if my guys can reload fast enough sometimes the confusion is enough to fire off 3 or 4 more mk 14's before I launch a couple of decoys (if it's after late '44) and then crash dive below the layer to hopefully make good my escape.

Is there any Mod or Mods that could approximate this, or any way to alter or tweak the game to carry out a night time surface torpedo attack? Just from playing SH-IV for a decade or so it seams that visibility is an equal two way thing. If you can see them then you can be seen, while on the surface anyway. I think it would be an interesting and fun new way to approach a night time attack. Any and all info would be appreciated.
not really..... because the AI can only simulate enemy capabilities by using percentages. the AI cannot simulate fear, visual recognition, training(or lack there of), confusion, fog-of-war. all it's got is percentages.

after thousands of career-missions, i can remember being able to successfully execute a surface torpedo attack just once. and i was scared s%itless...simulated, of course: too many simultaneous things happening and you are running the entire boat.
also, as you indicated above, once you are detected, the enemy becomes deadly-lethal very quickly.
some guys will respond here that they can do it with regularity however i suspect that the AI-capabilities were turned very favorably towards the Kaleun.
keep in mind that only certain WWII skippers, at the right opportunity, were able to successfully prosecute a night surface attack.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote