View Single Post
Old 08-14-20, 08:31 AM   #1
Eastwa
Torpedoman

Downloads: 124
Uploads: 0
Default New PC For SH3/5 & Uboat

Evening All.

Need some PC advice I'm currently running a very old 2009 Dell XPS studio with I7 920 & 2.67 GHZ with 6 Gig of Ram and a GeForce GT730. Been a great PC and runs SH3 well although GWX is a bit slow with all the mods and SH5 has always been slow on it.

Finally looking at upgrading, was thinking of either one of these two

Dell G5 I5 with a 6 core 10400F
16 gig of Ram
6 Gig GTX1650

or a
G5 with a I7 with 8 cores
8 gig of ram
4 Gig GTX 1650.

Not sure what the better trade off is I5 with better ram both the system and graphics or a better processor. The clock speeds base are both 2.9 but the I5 goes to 4.3 and the I7 goes to 4.8 Ghz.

Other option but is a bit pricey maybe is a new XPS Dell with
I7 10700
16 Gig Of Ram
4 Gig GTX 1650
I like these as they have a integrated optical drive and a lot of my old games are on disk (SH3 for instance) as I will need to buy one for the G5's.

I'm leaning towards the G5 I5 with the added ram and graphics ram but I'm not sure performance wise how it will run,

I'm sure it will run SH3 and SH4 with no issues but just want some opinions as I haven't bought a new PC for 11 years!!

Obviously I'm going to stick with Dell unless somebody can convince me otherwise my old Dell PC has never played up all the time I have had it.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I keep going back and forth on the dell website and missing out on my Silent Hunter time!! LOL

Eastwa is offline   Reply With Quote