View Single Post
Old 02-18-14, 04:07 PM   #199
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

I did not care for any goals and accomplishments, I just logged 20 rounds in one rush, just for the mere joy to drive. And I cannot get enough of it, I just cannot. The new evolution for the M1 is - aber Hallo!

The often complained about messy AI behavior definitely has something to do with CPU load. Today I tried at Monza a maximum field (26), and got a CPU warning (95% load) from beginning on - my first time I ever saw that flag. At the first chicane, that sharp right-left, the sim stuttered terribly for some seconds (the first time ever I had that, and the only such event in the whole 5 round race), and there was a lot of crappy metal being made everywhere. It were relatively fast moving M3-E30 DTMs.

I do not have that claimed crappy AI problem at that chicane after start when running just 16 cars, not even with the fastest there are. On other tracks, Imola, the 458 also delivers a non-forgiving first round performance, even with just 16 cars. At the same track, with slower cars like the street version of the E29 or E30 or the Abarth 500 or slow Lotus cars, no such problems show up.

After observing the AI and the correlation between AI behaviour and CPU load (may it be in form of fast cars or high number of cars) I am quite certain that when people complain about the AI doing Kamikazes in first rounds, it is not so much the AI algorithm per se, but the people not being aware that they have pushed their CPU beyond its limitations. It does not matter what you think or claim how hit your system is in stellar specs - the performance of the AI is a better indicator than personal opinion for whether or not the CPU can handle the sim in the individual way people has set it up in options and racing conditions.

There are three remedies for the time being: reduce number of cars on track. Use cars of slower speed. Reduce options.

Many car textures or using two or three car models in a race I so far have not noticed to have an effect regarding the CPU warning or the AI failing.

I am happy to report that with not more than 24 cars in any race, I never experience stuttering and have fully playable, fluid frames all the time, even with three car classes in race and every car having individual textures. Technically, my system can handle the sim perfectly with settings at high medium and high, but no HDR (i52500@3.3GHz, 8 GB RAM, GTX660 2 GB-314.xx driver)