View Single Post
Old 11-09-13, 08:08 AM   #10
Lionclaw
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post

I did not tune physics options, there are options for ABS, traction control, assistances and such, but in another place than the options I so far used. I turned much of that off - and immediately felt like a a figure skater in a wheel chair, dogfighting his own shadow.

Don't get me wrong, it is not that bad, and not exaggarated. It just is so much fun, and feels absolutely right. From now on I will not even miss an AI opponent - like in Ferrari Academy and netKart, the challenge lies in already mastering the car.
That's the part of the fun, learning each car, finding the limit.

For as long as I can remember, I've always turned off driving aids. For example in Gran Turismo, some license test have traction control and I feel like I'm fighting the car. And without TC I can balance the car through the corner with throttle and steering.

I have a driving style that leans more towards oversteer, so the back end usually steps out a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Lionclaw, the looks are second to none, imo, and it seems that many people in the Steam and AC forums share my opinion. I first fell in love with the cars and colours, but now I also love the realization of every five of the tracks. One has to use a fixed camera that does not follow the car, to get stills and then really see the immense detail they out in, and appreciate it.

There is the inevitable debate on whether the physics in Iracing or AC are better. Surprisngly, maybe, quite some people rate the AC model BETTER. One has to take into account that AC focuses - so far - on cars that are closer to street-cars, not so much on highly specialized cars like formula cars. Same is true for the FF effects. In iRacing - which i do not know - they say they are more intense - but the cars AC simulates in reality give you less feedback from the car via the wheel anyway, and more from the meat you sit on. Visually almost everbody agrees that AC wins over iRacing. Physics-wise, the count of opinions so far seem to indicate a draw - obviously, both sims are very good in that regard. In the many replays of my faulty deeds I saw in slomo what the car was doing and how it behaved, how it feathered, swinged and swayed - it looks exactly how I would expect the thing to look when doing those things in reality.

I also tried the one formula-style car that so far is included this morning. What a difference to the BMW M3 E30! Not only is it faster, the whole things feels like worlds apart. I think that is how it should be! Again it also feels different than the old Lotus I tried yesterday. Point is: although the cars really feel different, they all feel very, very convincing and realistic. The differences are not artificially invented.

Fun days and months ahead. Superb simulation, really, already in the state it is in right now. Absolutely superb. To me, worth the money even if they stop development right now.
You're tempting me to get it now rather than later.
Lionclaw is offline   Reply With Quote