View Single Post
Old 03-14-07, 12:40 PM   #16
GlobalExplorer
Admiral

Downloads: 165
Uploads: 0

Well I have yet to play a career. So far I have spent the last evenings just taking off, testing the flight envelope of my fav. planes (DVIII / Nieuport 17 / Sopwith Pub), crashing a lot and doing landings. That it is already so much fun just practicing to fly is actually the greatest compliment I can make to a flight sim.

What I can also say is that the athmosphere is unparalleled. You might think that CFS3 was such a crappy looking sim, that installing this mod will be like pouring vanilla souce over rotten fish. Don't! If you install OFF, you will be playing one of the best, most rewarding flightsims. You might not believe it now, but if you should get to play it you will say GE was right

Graphic and sound in OFF is excellent. There is nothing like the sputter of you're engine in a high G-turn or when you change the mixture. Up to 3000 feet, the landscape looks perfect - even if you run it on medium settings (like me). Higher than that, it could be better, but it's still ok. One thing I really like is that there is no popping up of ground objects like in IL2 or map limits like in LOMAC, things which killed the immersion for me in those sims.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUBMAN1
Is it dynamic like RB3D? Is the world alive? Do you get new aircraft as the years tick on? More details please! I was never a fan of CFS3 (I did beta testing at MS on it), but you are starting to peak my interest.
It seems that, because CFS3 was so unfinished, we never noticed it's campaign system was excellent, and the OFF team has made it perfect. There is always something going on on the ground. At times you see artillery shells exploding along the front, or trucks or artillery observers in a balloon. You hear cows and churchbells. Very nice ..

Progression and career development is made throught the OFFManager, a very ambitious, but somewhat crappy VB application. It is this very program that is creating so much problems. But once you get it to work, it will work ok. And it has all features you would expect from it. Some things I don't understand, for instance why you will die when you crash in a quick mission. The OFFManager is required as mission generator and career manager, and while it is not a good piece of software (imo), it is something that you will learn to use.

My recommendation is: get OFF, and don't give up. You might go through hell before it runs, but it is well worth it.

I also recommend starting with the Fokker DVII as the creators seem to be huge Fokker fanbois - the quality of everything around this plane exceeds the others by at least 100%.

Btw, I feel confident enough now to say I know how why it wouldn't install in the first place so maybe I can be of help.

GE

P.S. To play it, it will be perfectly enough if you download Part I (~800MB):
http://www.overflandersfields.com/OF...eleaseV1.0.exe
I just post that because the documentation, like always, is lacking and creates the impression you need the skins and videos, too. When in fact you can download them later, if you like the mod.

Last edited by GlobalExplorer; 03-14-07 at 01:02 PM.
GlobalExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote