Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieLyons View Post
Captain's Log

USS Nautilus (SS 168)
(Note: All times in Base Time)

9 Dec 1941 13:00
Departed Pearl Harbour on our first war patrol, following the Japanese attack two days ago. Mission is to penetrate Japanese homeland defences to recon and photograph vessels in Hiroshima docks. No easy task, especially in such shallow waters, and in a vessel of this size. We have zero intel on what defences might be present in the approaches to the target, so we'll be going in blind and having to feel our way.
For the first leg, we shall use full ahead to expedite our arrival at Midway for refuelling. A few hours there, then it's on towards the Japanese archipelago.

9 Dec 1941 18:01
Fox Traffic from COMSUBPAC: Japanese forces have landed on the Malay Peninsula and in the Philippines. Guam, Manila, Singapore and Hong Kong, among other places, have all been bombed. And after many years of conflict, China has finally declared war on Japan and its invading army. The scale of Japan’s offensive defies belief!

10 Dec 1941 18:01
Fox Traffic from COMSUBPAC: Japanese aircraft have sunk the British battleship Prince of Wales and battlecruiser Repulse off the Malay Peninsula! It appears the Japanese really mean business.

11 Dec 1941 18:01
Fox Traffic from COMSUBPAC: Germany and Italy have declared war on the US! The US Congress has replied in kind. Finally! This formalises what has already been the case in the North Atlantic for months, where the US Navy has been in combat with Hitler’s U-boat menace, protecting Atlantic convoys and President Roosevelt’s neutrality zone!

13 Dec 1941 07:31
Hooked up to the submarine tender at Midway to refuel. As soon as the tanks are full we'll depart.

13 Dec 1941 12:00
Fuel tanks are full, so we have cast off to resume our westward course. We shall proceed at ahead standard to balance our need for speed with the need to retain fuel for the return trip. So far weather has been set fair, and the barometer shows no sign of change.

13 Dec 1941 17:31
Fox Traffic from COMSUBPAC: TF14 under Adm Fletcher are en-route to relieve Wake Island. Good luck to them!

16 Dec 1941 18:01
Fox Traffic from COMSUBPAC: Japanese forces have invaded Borneo.

20 Dec 1941 18:01
Message received from COMASIATICFLT: Manila is under constant enemy air attack, so AF boats are to operate from Surabaya, Java, with immediate effect.

21 Dec 1941 13:15
144°58’E, 31°20’N, 435 NM SE of Tokyo. First contact with the enemy!
At 12:55 lookouts spotted an aircraft bearing 032, long range. In binoculars it appeared to be a multi-engine flying boat. I initially ordered a dive to periscope depth, but with the aircraft on a direct intercept course I changed the order to a crash dive and all hands to battle stations. As the aircraft initiated an attack run, I ordered a hard turn to starboard, into the attack. No bombs or depth charges were dropped, but the aircraft attempted to strafe us before we made it under. I ordered depth to be held at 120 ft, course 330°, flank speed, then initiated a course change to port to 224°, and reduced speed to ahead two thirds. At 13:00, three depth charges or bombs were heard to detonate, apparently at some distance from us.

21 Dec 1941 20:30
We held course, speed and depth for seven hours with no further contact. Following a clear hydrophone sweep, I ordered periscope depth at 20:09. A visual sweep showed no surface or air contacts, so I ordered the boat to surface at 20:13. Batteries are down to 50%. We have resumed course at ahead standard, as the sun sets.

23 Dec 1941 18:01
Fox Traffic from COMSUBPAC: Wake Island has fallen to the Japanese! Poor bastards!

24 Dec 1941 04:30
133°41’E, 32°06’N, 165 NM SSE of Hiroshima.
At 04:06 lookouts reported a ship ahead, bearing 001, long range. Ordered speed reduced to one third ahead, and binoculars showed it to be a small sailing vessel. Within minutes, two others were spotted, at 345 and 016. A binocular sweep showed no other vessels within visual range, so I ordered a course change to 180° to avoid contact, diving to periscope depth, ahead two thirds. They are probably just fishing vessels, but best to avoid them in case they are part of a picket, or equipped with radios.

24 Dec 1941
Hydrophone and periscope sweeps show no contacts within range, so I ordered the boat to surface and resume course, ahead standard. Weather remains set fair, with little to no change since we departed Pearl and Midway.
I feel we have been very fortunate to make it this far into Japanese home waters with so little contact with the enemy. Surely this can’t last?

24 Dec 1941 10:45
We have crossed the 133°E meridian, so, with sunrise approaching, at 10:35 I ordered the boat to periscope depth, ahead one third to conserve battery power. While this limits our speed to 2 kts, it should put us in a favourable position by sunset. I intend to remain out of sight and undetected while we approach the Bungo Suido, aiming to squeeze through under cover of darkness. A hydrophone sweep has revealed no contacts within range.

24 Dec 1941 21:00
132°36’E, 32°17’N.
Hydrophone and periscope sweeps have revealed no contacts. The sun has set. I have ordered the boat to surface, ahead standard. We shall continue on the surface under cover of darkness to approach the entrance to the Bungo Suido. The First Quarter moon should help, if the weather remains clear.

24 Dec 1941 22:18
132°23’E, 32°22’N.
Have turned to 336°, ahead standard, on approach to Bungo Suido.

24 Dec 1941 22:30
My Nav Officer and I have plotted a route into Hiroshima harbour. Looking at the map, and our complete lack of intel on minefields and anti-sub nets, or other defences, it’s clear from his face that he thinks this is a suicide mission. I won’t say so, obviously -- I have to maintain the morale of my crew, after all -- but I don’t disagree. What were COMSUBPAC thinking?!

Nice report. Orders are meh. I would use Captain's discretion and patrol area for shipping, too much risk to photo Hiroshima.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote