View Single Post
Old 07-23-19, 10:23 PM   #2
Hambone307
Planesman

Downloads: 93
Uploads: 0

I started out on SH3 when the rabbit hole that is youtube led me there one day. I did the same as you and picked up 4 and 5. Never really got much time into SH5, but I did get quite a bit into SH4. I would recommend you play that one for a bit. A few mega mods for it also add to the gameplay like Trigger Maru Overhaul and Real Fleet Boat.

TMO increased the difficulty quite a bit (if you really want to challenge yourself)
RFB changes the UI a bit from what I remember and changes gameplay.

Add in some of the other mods that make boat handling more "realistic" and you have plenty to work with.

Mods aside, gameplay was quite fun. You can start out in the antiquated S boats in Manila at the start of the war and progress up to the Balao if you live that long. Targets are primarily merchant shipping which can be hard to find at times. Get used to staring at the map quite a bit while plotting possible patrol routes. Jap ASW isnt really a threat early on in the war, especially if you use RFB (it adds some historical depth setting errors of depth charges early war).

Give SH4 a shot and see how you like it. That and SH3 are my all time favorite subsims.