View Single Post
Old 01-17-21, 11:08 AM   #5747
Hanzberger
Helmsman

Downloads: 140
Uploads: 0
Default U-53 VII-B Flotilla Wegener

Start date 8/1/39 Konisgsberg
Training- successfully sank all target ships as ordered. Returned to base. They've updated our Hydrophones, but not all the parts were available causing a delay. My men are eager to go to war but most are too green to realize.

Start date 9/7/39 War is here, the men are filled with excitement. Our orders are to patrol AO98 then transfer to Kiel. We do so and sink one Polish destroyer. On the way back to Kiel we find nothing.

Start date 10/3/39 (current now). Our orders are to patrol BE96. A very long first 'real' patrol that will turn these remaining boys into men.
It has been nearly three weeks at sea now and only 1 tramp steamer to our name early on in the Nord sea. There have been only a few contacts since then and very bad weather has caused the enemy to escape. As we approach our patrol grid finally here on 10/20/39 my crew is getting fatigued and bored. It is as if the sea is void of any ships. A full load of torpedoes constantly reminds the crew. Fuel is around 70%. I hope we find something soon to restore confidence.
Hanzberger is offline   Reply With Quote