View Single Post
Old 04-08-10, 01:08 PM   #14
Stiglr
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I suppose my answer to frinik would be, "Doesn't anyone relish a challenge?"

I see this facet in flight sims all the time, and it's just as frustrating there, too. People want to fly the late war ueberplanes before learning fascinating lessons and cutting their teeth in the less capable machines that came before them.

In the flight sim world, it's best encapsulated by the big interest in "Secret Weapons of the Luftwaffe" planes: everybody wants a Me263 Komet or some drawing board wonder, when there's a lot to be learned from flying a FW190A or a Bf109E/F or a /G that doesn't have a 30mm nose gun and underwing pylons.

I don't so much mind the Tigers and Panthers being available as part of the overall experience... I'm just making a point about the "gottawin" mentality that drives players to immediately gravitate to the uebers, and stunting their own development and learning (not to mention, gaining more of an appreciation for why it was nice to drive a Tiger after surviving in a III or a IV for a long time).

It's not too hard to figure out that, if you never have to take a thin(ner) skinned PzIII with a short-barreled gun into combat, you don't have to learn how to survive a battle where you have to maneuver to within 500 meters and create a side- or rear-aspect shot for yourself; no, all you have to do is back into a corner that protects your rear, pick out the binoculars and find targets at 2km away for your 88 to have a go at.

Said another way, "gottawin" is also human nature.
Stiglr is offline   Reply With Quote