Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: Granville & GRT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueduck View Post
Hi blackswan40,

we got this ship from AG124/Rowi and did not change anything to the original.

Please do not mix GRT (volume) and tons (weight).
Museum says GRT and the Displacement is in tons (not GRT as to read), afaik there is no formula to calculate them vice versa..

The changes you suggest are just cosmetics, though the ship itself still will have a mass of 2325 tons.
Museum gives a length of 78.3m and the cfg-file of 92m. Maybe AG124 kann tell about the different values.

I will not change anything to that ship unless I can have a look at a plan or maybe the Lloyds Register Excerpt of this ship.

Regards
Blueduck
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...57&postcount=8

So, if the Wikipedia article is correct, the GRT tonnage used in Silent Hunter is just the cargo spaces of the ship. In actuality if the ship tonnage was worked out in more modern GT tonnage, they'd be 3 or 4 times heavier at least. It makes the huge gap between modern and WWII sizes seem a lot closer. quoted from the linked post above.

To which I have to agree...

In original form as is, the NGRA's GRT for it, should at least be 2, 2.5, if not 3 x's what it is listed as in the .cfg file for it.

And, this is not taking into account, is that just the ships dead weight figure... or not accounting for a ship when sunk, of the additional tonnage of the cargo it was carrying....

That's just my thoughts on it... not to mention if there are not other ship files short on tonnage as they should have...

M. M.