View Single Post
Old 08-20-20, 02:47 AM   #41
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

All-clear on the temperature alarm.

I made the mistake to get fixiated on the Min- and Max- readouts of Core Temp Utility, checking them AFTER a flying session and thus getting the maximum spikes that ever got recorded per core.

However, that dawned on me this morning, and so I tabbed out of the sim and had the utlity running on the monitor during the flight, like an yof the sim'S internal apps. I then could see that during flying from LOWI Innsbruck to LOWS Salzburg and down the river Inn valley the cores's temperatures flouctuated between mostly low 60s and high 70, with only occasional spikes to mid-80 that lasted for splits of seconds only. I chnaged the groahcis settings in flight from low over med to high . Only the low setting most obviously degrades image quality, but had temp in the 50s and low 60s. Medium and High settings for my taste already look perfectly fine, and have temps rising by 10-15 degrees: still below 80 for 99.8% of the time. The spoikes to 100 seem to take place in the menus, or when switching between menus, ironically.

I also checked New York, to my surprise I did not see a signficant temperatrure or CPU load increase there, at medium andn hjigh settings, compoared to Austria before - and that right over Manhatten with those many high buildings there.

So, all seems to be fine. Not really ice-cool, but safe.

The sim is a love affair that developes quickly. When flying down at river Inn, there are two higher elevations, little "mountains" that you can hop over. I noticed that the air flow around the plane changed when I kept my altitude but the ground rose to me when hopping over the hilltop at tree level. It felt like thermal upwinds in Condor soaring simulator. The air definetly is very much alive and a "fluid", dynamic medium. Small planes get to feel it very obviously.