View Single Post
Old 04-09-19, 09:00 PM   #9
Elphaba
Neptune's daughter

Downloads: 164
Uploads: 0

I agree, save states could be done - with some limitations.

What happens if you saved with only 2 subs engaging, and when you restart a 3rd sub wants to play? Where should that spawn? What would be fair / fairest.

I can see this working better in a 'private' lobby with only one sub - but again, if you start a mission with multiple subs, and then save and restart and only one sub can play, what happens to the rest? What if those players want to play halfway through the 2nd game?

What non programmers don't ever think about is all these corner cases, it's not just the complication of the code, but all the what if's - add to that co-op and THEN networked session gameplay and it becomes a huge problem.

Then alternately you have people who will use it to cheat? When a sub is going to be damaged, save game, restart and pick a different sub and take over in a better 'spawn' position. That's not cool.

So maybe saves, but it would have to be limited in some way because of the all the networking and spawning complications.

But I agree, time compression, not a chance.

The only caveat is if (and I hope they won't) they dumb it down and you always spawn right on top of a convoy; to me that's just turned the game into target practice. The hunt and intercept is half the fun. Even if they made a Captain only 'option' to ask the crew(s) if they want to 'time jump' to the approach point, then the people who vote no will only end up getting kicked. That's not right either. And Pisces, your time jump selection, that idea doesn't work either, I don't want to play a game where someone with no patience jumps us to the point where we've been detected and don't know about it but the end will always be the same.

This is a game about patience and being cautious. Time Jumps, especially as you described it, takes all that away.

As I said to someone else; If you're really bored for that 20mins, then use it to train someone on a station, practice dive and surface drills - because I can tell you, virtually nobody I've played with knows what they're doing or will stick to their own stations!. Run practice approaches on the map - get everyone involved. There is so much to do - aside from keeping an eye out for real contacts, and aircraft when they come etc etc etc that 20mins is going to fly by.

So no, I don't have the time and energy to play WOW - doesn't mean I keep asking for them the change the game into something that I do have the time and energy for; I'm just grown up enough to say "It's not the game for me" and move on.

Last edited by Elphaba; 04-09-19 at 09:12 PM.
Elphaba is offline   Reply With Quote