View Single Post
Old 06-04-16, 06:49 PM   #4
Chromatix
Watch

Downloads: 11
Uploads: 0

I just played solo and managed to sink the enemy flagship first go, one torpedo. Even though I normally use auto-TDC in SH, and having to manually set things up is very different...

I did use some experience from SH:

Most notably I remembered the range of keel depths of Japanese destroyers, and guessed 4 metres for the torpedo depth. It worked a treat. I don't think these destroyers are entirely to scale though.

I also had experience of making approaches, which really helped for getting into a favourable position. You want to be ahead of and slightly (a kilometre or two) to the side of the target's course - and undetected, to minimise the likelihood of him manoeuvring to avoid or attack.

The TDC supplied appears to be based on the American model's functionality, which attempts to track both target and ownship positions and update them over time. Your goal is to feed the TDC a sufficiently accurate estimate of the target's distance, bearing, course and speed. With that data, the correct torpedo gyro angle will automatically be set, ready for you to hit the fire button. The real American TDC gives you a lot more info about what's going on.

It's very important to check the TDC data by letting it run it's prediction for a while (a minute, perhaps), then taking a new bearing and range and comparing them to the generated ones. If the prediction is correct, you've probably got a sufficiently accurate firing solution. If it isn't, you can use knowledge of the discrepancy to make new estimates of course and speed, as well as correcting the TDC as to the actual bearing and range, then wait another minute and check it again. Hold fire until the TDC "checks".

When estimating speed using the stopwatch/waterline method, don't forget to come to a halt yourself. Your own motion interferes with this method of measurement. Real submariners used other clues such as the propellor speed (via hydrophones) and bow-wave appearance as well, but those effects might not be implemented in this game yet.

Incidentally, I fired my single shot from about 3000m away. That's much further than I would expect any kind of success against a warship in SH. Yet my TDC work was spot-on and the target never knew what hit him.
Chromatix is offline   Reply With Quote