View Single Post
Old 12-05-18, 09:21 AM   #5334
BristolBrick
Seaman

Downloads: 14
Uploads: 0

Visibility good, (but a bit dark since night is approaching) 2m/s windspeed, no fog.
U-101 is attacking, flank speeding into a position in front of the British line and then submerging as the Battleships approach (1 DD in front, 5 behind)

At 20:43 U-101 fired all four frontal torpedo tubes from periscope depth at roughly 1.4 to 1.7 km range, all G7a (I would have prefered electric fish but I only had steam) set to fast speed in a 5 degree spread, set to 10m depth and magnetic pistol.

Two torpedoes impacted, both hit around the area of the rear two gun turrets. The enemy battleship was destroyed and sunk within 1 minute of torpedo impact.

U-101 was then put into silent running and dived to 200 meters, heading east at 2 knots. The leading destroyer circled for a short while before rejoining it's place in the zig-zagging taskforce, the very last destroyer did stay and search for the u-boat, which had taken very minor damage from one of the destroyers which had rejoined the convoy.

The trailing destroyer made one unsuccessful depth charge attack against U-101 at 21:05, which took the chance to stop moving and pretend to not exist. A second DD comes up from the convoy and searches for U-101. 1 more depth charge attack is made and fails, the second destroyer goes away again. At 21:21 another failed attack is made, and the destroyer continues searching until 21:35 when it goes home.

(Sorry if this image is too dark to see what is going on)

U-101 had just sat there doing nothing. Surfaces and continues on with the patrol.

I'm quite pleased with my first patrol with manual targeting, I had sunk a couple of lone merchants before but I thought this deserved to be posted here. Incredible luck, very first such patrol and a couple of battleships just fall into my lap!
BristolBrick is offline   Reply With Quote