View Single Post
Old 09-22-16, 10:53 PM   #25
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Today I troubleshot the overly complicated setup procedure for Silent Hunter 4 under Ubuntu Linux. It was tough.
Place SH4 disk in drive. Find setup.exe on the disk with the file manager of your choice. I used Dolphin. Right-click setup.exe and choose "install with Wine."

Wait. It's installed. Slide the U-boat missions disk in there and do the same thing. Enter your serial number. Play.

But I went several steps further today. I copied JSGME, Large Memory Address Aware and all 3.8 GB of Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate v0.25 beta. I installed MULTI-SH4, ran it successfully and created a second install for GFO.

It all just works. Just as easily as Windows. No command line terminal mumbo-jumbo, no screwing with configuration tweaks. It installed and ran identically to a Windows machine.

Except Ubuntu is not collecting unknown data that belongs to me, encrypting it and sending it to Microsoft twice a day at my expense. And it isn't using half the tiles in a facetiously named "start menu" to sell me things I won't buy.

The same program on Ubuntu tends to run twice as fast as it does in Windows on my machine.

Instead of serving sites that host a Windows system recovery .iso, the same one that can be created by any Windows user by themselves, with DMCA takedown demands Ubuntu encourages dozens of system recovery boot packages like RescaTux, which I used today. RescaTux can save your Windows system too when your forced upgrade locks up your machine and Microsoft leaves you completely stranded.

I'd say more but I'm taking off to play some FOTRS Ultimate on my cumbersome Linux system that created the mod yesterday.

Last edited by Rockin Robbins; 09-23-16 at 08:14 AM.
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote