View Single Post
Old 06-04-20, 02:57 PM   #1197
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Quick question about the realism of the Japanese torpedoes.

Surprisingly, only two modules inside my sub were damaged, the Forward Torpedo room bulkhead was severely damaged and the batteries had virtually no damage at all.

My question is, how is the realism of torpedo damaged modeled in-game? Because that torpedo should've killed me.
there are a couple of factors involved.
  1. your boat could have received a blow that was less than a direct impact thereby reducing the effect of the hit.
  2. the battery room is aft of the torpedo room so technically speaking if your boat were at battle stations she could possibly take a hit in one compartment and not necessarily affect another.
  3. the value of the IJN was not necessarily its explosive power but its speed and accuracy. US Navy torpedoes such as the infamous Mark 14 used Torpex which is 50% more powerful than a normally HE torpedo of TNT. when comparing the warheads of the Mark 14 (643 lbs of Torpex) to Type 93 (1,080 lb) the IJN 93 comes out only slightly more powerful. the values used within the game's parameter files track with those comparisons.

so, you and your boat got lucky. say, "thank you very much. may i have another", and be thankful that you live to "fight" another day.
next time, attack in deeper water and don't stick around at PD admiring your work, Kaleun.

good luck and good hunting.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote