View Single Post
Old 07-06-20, 10:38 AM   #1472
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0

Aha, yes, the stern of the FO was still above water when I departed, though the TDC could not lock on or even register the target name. Yes, I plead guilty to harbor raiding, but on a double-barrel patrol Brisbane-Katsuura, we encountered exactly one merchant convoy (of two ships), aside from minor coastal traffic like crab boats and steamers, plus the merchants in a TF from an Ultra intercept.

BTW, finally hit an ammunition ship from under 2 km: startling and spectacular. Well done to the team.

Couple of other issues:

- A cloud of exhaust fumes issuing from near my position when loading a saved game, whether I'm submerged or not. Luckily the enemy doesn't seem to notice. I had assumed this was the legacy of a corrupted save but it continues.

- We were eligible to upgrade to single 40mm AA after our first patrol but still have single crew slots from the 20mm days. Another of those date availability issues?

EDITED TO ADD: the initial invulnerability of DDs, done as I understand it for reasons of playability rather than realism, might need a rethink. When we contacted that supply TF off Truk, the two largest ships were each apparently mortally wounded by a the first Mk 14 to hit and the remaining merchants were done in by a single shot. The DD was a different matter entirely, shaking off two Mark 14s broadside before coming after us. A third broadside shot to the other side finally did him in. Considering the 57% damage we had already incurred, it was a nailbiter.

Last edited by Mios 4Me; 07-06-20 at 10:56 AM.
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote