View Single Post
Old 02-27-21, 06:52 PM   #37
gap
Navy Seal

Downloads: 793
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
For SH3? Any AO mapping for a Unit that small is WAY over kill.
I'd bake the shadows to the diffuse texture like stock is done and call it good for SH3.
Other wise your just putting lip stick on a Pig!
That has two effects.
It's still a Pig but now the Pig runs slower.
Good point which might apply to SH5 as well as SHIII

The AO map I am baking is rather large, 2048 x 2048 pixels. I would like the texture to be large enough that boat's name painted on the hull sides can be read. I will check if this level of quality can be attained by blending diffuse and texture maps on the same texture, as you are suggesting, rather than having them mapped on two sets of UV maps, and then I will evaluate which method is lesser expensive in terms of memory usage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapuhy View Post
One cheap solution is to bake it at once and then "hand-paint" holes/damage/debris on parts of AO texture that are hidden under destroyable parts
Yes, I am doing that too. but there are times that the occluded parts require a more accurate work than what one you can do manually. A trick I am using to spare time, is scaling down the UV projections of parts already baked but included in the AO-baking template because on the shadows they cast of parts which still require their AO baked. This way they will be used for light occlusion simulation, but the shadow rendering will be much faster.

Last edited by gap; 02-27-21 at 09:25 PM.
gap is offline   Reply With Quote