Thread: Windows 7 News
View Single Post
Old 03-31-09, 10:21 AM   #54
Arclight
Navy Seal

Location: Land of windmills, tulips, wooden shoes and cheese. Lots of cheese.
Downloads: 53
Uploads: 10

I has made more progress.

Pretty much the same thing for "XP to Win7"

1. right click "my computer" in start menu
2. select "map network drive"
3. select "sign up for online storage or connect to a network server" link
4. follow wizard. Select "browse" button on 3rd screen. Click "entire network" > "Microsoft Windows Network" > "Workgroup" and the Win7 PC should list there. Select shared folder and click "OK".

If the Win7 PC is listed but you can't browse it, enter the network address of the shared folder manually; instead of clicking the browse button in step 4, enter the address (example: \\WIN7PC\Shared Folder). Complete the wizard.

These network locations won't show up in "my computer" in XP, but you can select "My Network Places" on the left (under "Other Places") and you'll find it there. It's also possible to add "My Network Places" to the start menu by ticking an option (in "Customize Start Menu") for ease of use.

Maybe adding a network location is somehow different then a network drive (wouldn't know, least experience is with networking), but for all my intents and purposes it works fine; access location on another PC over a network and manipulate files. You can stream music and video, or copy stuff back and forth no problem.

Contritium praecedit superbia.
Arclight is offline   Reply With Quote