Thread: [REL] Dark Waters
View Single Post
Old 11-09-20, 11:28 AM   #742
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Unfortunate fact. Last time I played DW I was "awarded" a XXIII. And told to do Atlantic convoy patrols with it. There's just enough Diesel aboard to get stranded on the way to Iceland.
yes, i understand.

i was playing DW in the Far East where the distances to patrol are great.
the XXIII is definitely a regional boat, great for the Med, or the Baltic or possibly even the Arctic. the fact that is carries only two torpedoes is another reason to use it close to some kind of support-base in order to re-arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
When idling the diesels, you aren't moving. No free lunch (increase in range).
Yes, Type XXIII range is sufficient to technically touch the Atlantic. It's not enough to do a Mid-Atlantic patrol, trolling for convoys, which is what I was assigned. I ran completely out of fuel somewhere past Iceland. That should be fixed if anyone's doing an update to DW.

well, you can update/mod the range to whatever you like but that takes the "realistic fun" out of the game. if one mods the range to make the XXIII be more like the range of Type 7 then why not increase the torpedo load-out to 10 or 12 or even 16 torpedoes? i am being facetious here.

the point is that we (modders) have misunderstood something about the boat-upgrade-process and that it why we have fleet subs being "upgraded" to regional subs simply because they are newer, but not more capable, boats. i might take a look at this when i finish my current career.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is online   Reply With Quote