View Single Post
Old 10-18-19, 12:28 PM   #11384
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Scotland's highest civil court has dismissed a legal bid to stop the UK government from passing its proposed EU withdrawal agreement.

Anti-Brexit campaigners argued the deal contravened legislation preventing Northern Ireland from forming part of a separate customs territory.

The UK government said the court should not stop the matter coming before Parliament.

After a hearing in Edinburgh Lord Pentland turned down the petition.

He ruled: "I conclude that the petitioner's applications for interim orders are misconceived and unjustified."

Jo Maugham QC, who lodged the petition at the Outer House of the Court of Session in Edinburgh, tweeted: "As I said yesterday morning, we had to make a decision to issue proceedings for interim remedies quickly or not at all; once the withdrawal agreement reaches Parliament it becomes impossible to challenge.

"That was a difficult decision to make. It is difficult to move quickly and accurately and, the court has found, I got that decision wrong.

"We will review the decision carefully but my instinct is that we are unlikely to proceed to a full hearing for reasons indicated above."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-50088993
The court had very little choice, the alternative being close down Parliament and allow judges to run the country.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)