View Single Post
Old 12-05-19, 12:10 PM   #8
Fidd
XO

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Interesting, I'd have expected a movement upwards resultant from dc's exploding above, as the aerated water above would be significantly less dense that than the column of water existing previous to detonation: thus causing an uncontrolled rise until the U-boat has exited the area of disturbed water.

Self-evidently a very close near-miss above might cause a momentary descent, however, I'd expect the overall effect to be a rise. It may be the case that damage or deformation to the 'planes caused the dive, rather than changes in density of the water?

What I think is desirable here, is that being under dc attack can involve sudden changes to buoyancy and extra air expended and/or coarse plane movements to try and bring the boat back into a level pitch angle, and back into trim. Failure to do so resulting in either a descent below crush-depth, or below the depth at which tanks can be blown to affect static buoyancy and correct depth, leading to the need to use (noisy) e-motor power settings and dynamic buoyancy to restore control. Or indeed being forced to the surface, arguably the primary aim of depth charge attacks.
Fidd is offline   Reply With Quote