View Single Post
Old 03-08-11, 08:04 PM   #12
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by karamazovnew View Post
You don't need to recalculate. Remember that once you know the target's AOB you can quickly establish an intercept course by the method described before. In that case you set up a 180 degrees "intercept" course, meaning a parallel one. If however you used 90 degrees instead, you'd be on a 90 degrees intercept course. So, if at any time during your approach you move the periscope by mistake while your autoupdate is OFF, even if you break the AOB, you can quickly reestablish the correct AOB by doing this:
1. move your periscope straight ahead (by pressing the "set view to heading" key)
2. Autoupdate OFF so you can change the AOB
3. in the AOB enter your intercept course value (pay attention to set it correctly port or starboard)
4. turn autoupdate ON again.
Now when you move the periscope over your target you'll be able to see that the AOB is correct. Why? I already explained in the tutorial that:
Intercept Angle = Sub's Course - Target's Course
Intercept Angle = Bearing + AOB
So as long as you and the target don't change course, by zeroing your bearing what you did was: Intercept Angle = AOB
Now, as you move the periscope, the Bearing dial automatically moves the AOB dial to maintain that relation.

I don't understand why you'd need to use the map to establish the target's course. By using your TDC only, you can work in a relative environment, never even looking at your heading.
As for the Hydrophone, my technique depends on you being able to see your target, there are other tutorials that deal with hydrophone hunting. But it is a fact that SH4 and SH5 have big problems with the hydrophone. Even if you can hear a target, sometimes the sonarguy never reports them.
Here is what I think you are telling us:

1. Get target speed. The preferred way is using the stop watch as it passes the bow of the boat. Can you calculate speed accurate when it crosses the scope at another angle, say 45 degrees, if your boat is stopped? It seems that if you calculate the target's speed when it crosses the zero bearing of your scope, you will have to reposition you boat to make an attack run with an Aob of 90 degrees.
2. How do we establish the target's course with map contacts diabled? Is it established by using the Aob obtained from the KIUB interface?
3. If the target is moving away, turn off the TDC and reset the Aob to 180 degrees to follow (parallel) the target and overtake it. Zero out the scope by hitting the = key? Then reactivate the TDC.
4. When you overtake the target or change course to intercept at 90 degrees, turn off the TDC, reset the Aob to 90 degrees to the correct port or starboard side of the target, zero the scope by hitting the = key, and reactive the TDC. This should put your boat on an intercept course of 90 degrees? When do you fire topedoes?

I am not sure any of the above is correct. I obviously do not have the whole picture. I do understand how to use the interface to calcualte range, speed and Aob. How I use them on an attack run is another matter. Further, the last sub school tutorial failed, even though the torpedoes looked like they would hit the target, because they all exploded prematurely! Also, there are dials on the periscope screen that are duplicated on the Attack Map. Which do I use? From what I have observed, changing one does not change the other.

Last edited by I'm goin' down; 03-08-11 at 10:59 PM.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote