View Single Post
Old 04-23-19, 11:46 PM   #23
Slyguy3129
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesemaschine View Post
Yeesh, tough crowd but I understand the frustration.

My DREAM subsim would be a modern-remake of Aces of the Deep - what a SP campaign that had! However, to lump Wolfpack in with the fortnite/arcade/MMO bullcrap crowd is not fair to the game.

I've cut my teeth on Aces of the Deep, Jane's 688i, all of the Silent Hunters (especially 1 and 3 with the GWX mod), Shells of Fury, etc. In 20+ years of subsimming I've never once had to walk up to the valves, flood both the forward and aft #2/4 main ballast tanks, blow the negative tank while passing periscope depth and then trim for dive.

I have to do that in Wolfpack. What is arcade about that procedure exactly? More arcade than pressing "P" in SH to submerge to periscope depth? "C" for crash dive?

I can plan, coordinate and pull off an attack with manual TDC and plotting tools in Wolfpack just how I do with SH3 - and Wolfpack doesn't even have an "auto lock" for targets that will compute the solution for you like SH3 has. Everything in this game is manually done, and if you don't know what you're doing, you'll be sinking nothing.

Does Wolfpack have the dynamic SP campaign from Aces of the Deep I crave? No. And I so so wish it did. But for now what I am playing is certainly not an arcade, but an atmospheric, technically-detailed and FUN subsim.

If it wasn't a sim, It would have been wiped off my hard drive by now. Trust me.

P.S. did I mention I hate fortnite?
By Fortnite/arcade/MMO I mean it is designed in the same exact way. An instance built by the game as a preset scenario to drop people into. It can only have so many variations. No dropping in a port and finding the convoy. Designed to not be too time consuming. No surprises.

God I loved 688i. I don't know what was more fun, playing the game, or making your Commander lose his mind. Man I miss that game.

I'd gladly give all that up, for a single player campaign. I guess the whole "walking around thing" has gotten old hat to me since 1991 and Doom. I wasn't impressed with it in SH5 (that I was smart enough not to get ripped off by. I still shudder when I read the SH5 forum. We lost 4 entire years of the war, just to walk. Yay?) and it doesn't impress me here. I'm still a bit lost as to why it's such a big deal. But graphics have never been something to easily impress me.

You can't do that in SH4, because you are not some lowly Petty Officer, you are the Captain. It's not the Captain's job to do everything on the boat. It's why submarines have crews.

I'm perfectly fine with Pressing "P" to get stuff done, and have a Single Player Campaign, multiple different boats, actually hunting, not needing to play online, being able to role play, following my crew's career, being able to upgrade my boat, getting more missions than "go here, sink stuff, don't go boom",surprise aircraft attack, Time Compression (Because if I wanted, I could sail around the globe), sinking more tonnage than Japan could have built in 3 WW2s(ok maybe not that one lol), but I think you catch my drift.

I guess what I'm saying is I see what all was sacrificed, so that we could "walk", and turn knobs, and play with squeakers, and I'm just not impressed. I don't see how people can be. It looks like a 30 year giant step backwards.

Oh I know. If I have one more tennybopper say to me "You play video games? So you play fortnite?!?!" you will be seeing me on the news.