View Single Post
Old 11-10-19, 08:37 AM   #15
jscharpf
Frogman

Downloads: 294
Uploads: 0

to everyone.

I also think that the current generation no longer cares about details of World War 2, (things that take planning/time, such as board games, or simulators). I feel like to them, it is like the civil war.

I think my generation (ish), where our fathers/mothers/uncles were ALL affected by World War 2, as youth we read every thing we could on that war. My father was on a destroyer, my uncle was in the air force, another uncle was a cook on a ship during D-Day.. so as a 10 year old I had stacks of books written about World War 2.

I remember being obsessed with World War 2 as a pre-teen, purchasing many of the Avalon Hill board games (too many to list lol!!).

For me as I grew older, when the 1980s and especially the 1990s came around, and you could SIMULATE some battle or even a campaign. My first experience was with a game called "Knights of the Desert" by SSI. It was a turn based strategy game of Rommel in the desert. I was blown away!!

Then shortly later, in the mid-1990s, I came across "Air Warrior" where you could play against people from around the world, with multiple people in a bomber, and I was in pure heaven!

The games that came out in the 1990s for a World War 2 "historian", .. well to me that was the golden era...

Now, everything is focused on graphics and getting into action quickly. There is one online game that I still play "World War 2 Online", which, in my opinion, is still the best overall WW2 game out there. This game started in 2000, but now, new players complain about the graphics and having to sit around if they are pulling guard duty on some building. The game is losing customers to all of the "quick action" type games.

This is just the way it is. The World War 2 generation has almost completely died off, and I just don't see anyone interested in it anymore (other than a reason to make a bloody shooting game).

Same goes for the sub sim community I'm afraid. Why would anyone float around in a sub for hours when they could be running around with blazing guns?

Sorry for the rant, but I enjoy reading these threads to see how others feel about the same things.

Jeff
jscharpf is offline   Reply With Quote