View Single Post
Old 05-09-19, 06:04 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Right now I've been so tied up with multiple projects (The '100 Years' thread, working with friends on revising rules for our tabletop wargames) that my computer gaming time is severely limited, and I've been using that to play Wings Over Flanders' Fields. That said, my thoughts are always returning to sub sims, and when they do I remember that after fourteen years I never did complete a career in SH3. And I want to get back to it.

Yes, SH3 looks old and clunky compared to more modern sims. I would rather play SH4, as I think it's the better platform. The problem is that it never got the attention from modders that SH3 did. In stock SH3 there isn't even the Kiel Canal. Not only was it modded in but now you can sail through the locks and even have to wait for the gates to open. The variety of bridges, including the rotating bridge. It's silly, but no other sub sim has anything like that.

SH5 has some interesting new stuff, but it also feels to me like it's lacking something. You can try hard to make a better sim, but if you lose what made the ones you love great, then you haven't really gained anything.

I'm interested in the newer sims, but I'm still drawn back to SH3, and probably will be until I've finally completed that career.