View Single Post
Old 04-29-21, 04:32 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
If you look at the AirBase, and / or CV and / or specific airplane calls in the game, they are oftentimes "Competent", or maybe "Veteran" at the most, for a CrewRating number, which would be 2 or 3. For the airplanes to "fly" realistically, they have to be "Elite", or "4" in the text files. This includes the ship or land AirBase they fly from, since that is where those planes acquire their "CrewRating" from. I mention this, because you say that after you dove, you then heard explosions. This could be the airplane crashing into the ocean... seriously. They are that bad at flying. What happens is they dive on your submarine, attempt to pull out of the dive, over-react, then "stall" their airplane, which then falls out of the sky. Turn on the external sometime and watch them. Try not to laugh too hard though. Even on "Elite" they will sometimes do that. The main disadvantage of setting airplanes to "Elite" of course, is they can then drop a bomb down the conn hatch like they're Luke Skywalker's cousin...

As for the not always dropping on their first approach, this can have to do with the Loadout for the airplane. Several things, the first being that it might be that the airplane's Loadout does not match between the cfg file and the eqp file. But that usually will result in a fail-to-respond issue, where the airplane just flies on by you, even if passing directly overhead. But other times, it is the order and type of the Loadout components. If a "DummyBomb" is the next weapon to use, all you will get is a strafing, and if they're out of 37mm ammo, well, they just pass right on by. If a regular "250kgBomb" is next in the list, then on the next pass they'll drop a bomb... imagine them also dropping a dye stick their first pass, and that's what they aim for the 2nd pass... or like KaleunMarco mentions, pass it off to an identification issue, with the navigator arguing with the pilot and co-pilot "I tell you, I ~know~ it was a US sub!", so they finally turn around and do another approach and attack run... lol

lol its funny because now I am en route to Pearl Harbor are expending last torpedoes on September 4th. About 100 miles SSE of Marcus Island, SD contact. Stayed on surface presented stern but it spotted me, we dove and I watched it with periscope as it closed in. We went under and explosions occurred, it dropped on first pass. Few minutes later, more depth charge explosions. I have the airbases all set to Elite. Have seen them crash into water before or stall out but its rare in TMO. Also, with EAX sound there is a distinct sound(one reason consider EAX a must have mod, enhances the whole sim) difference between depth charges/bombs exploding and when plane crashes so did not crash either time, sure of it.

Update: lol as was typing this a Betty (likely Marcus Island) flying low, probably 300 feet zoomed, so SD only picked it up at 6 NM. Ordered crash dive, it came in strafing. As the boat passed 91 feet, depth charge explosions shook the boat, no damage though. May have been a one off thing when they did the first pass, perhaps because I was surfaced. I'll check the Mavis and Emily loadouts as you suggested.

Glad its Sept 43 now and next patrol the dud torpedo issue will be solved. Having started in Dec 41, I am burned out on torpedo issues (lol). Upside,changes are working as I designed, when had magnetic exploder, it kept tonnage reasonable level, offsetting the overall easier AI in first part of the war (even though I've made it where they are not complete pushovers usually) Player running realistic settings, will be lucky to sink more than two ships a patrol( especially before the torpex torpedoes come about in late 42, which are represented in the sim by hit points on torpedoes increasing) between the premature explosions, duds, deep runners, and the rare gyro issues, circle runners. One patrol in 1942 had something resembling Tinosa's attack on Tonan Maru No 3 in July 1943...four premature explosions, 4 duds two deep runners in one attack.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote