Old 11-09-20, 03:31 PM   #743
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

SHO Re: Type XXIII... part trois...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
When idling the diesels, you aren't moving. No free lunch (increase in range).

Yes, Type XXIII range is sufficient to technically touch the Atlantic. It's not enough to do a Mid-Atlantic patrol, trolling for convoys, which is what I was assigned. I ran completely out of fuel somewhere past Iceland. That should be fixed if anyone's doing an update to DW.
WH4K,

Ouch...

Ok, now I have a clearer understanding of the orders you received.

You got orders it sounds like for way further out into the mid Atlantic, than I got.

with that being the case, then the mission is untenable...

With regards to idling, I never attributed doing so, to any range addition.. it was with regards to only doing so, to recharge the batteries, so I could continue My own foray into the objective area, so as to attempt to complete it.

In that, I was modestly successful in accomplishing that, but.. it was a near thing in doing so. I could have easily ran into trouble that damaged the diesel reserves I had, then I'd of been in a extremely tight pickle, as it were.

Needless to say, I then did a faux transfer to a Type VII, by creating a new career, aptly named with the same Kaleun, but in a VII & continuing on.. minus the tonnage I had achieved in the II-D, I did however, keep a running tally on My tonnage in a note pad I kept handy. (for My own records, for posterity)

A shame that the ability to go from 1 u boat to another, is not fully available in DW's.. but that aside.. it can be done, as I did... just not officially by the games 'score keeping', if you will. The only 1 that knows, is but your own self... which speaking just for Myself, I can live with that.

Hopefully, it can be explored to be able to do so, in game... at some point in time.

Yes, I know that some Kaleun's did not make it due to being sunk & died as an end result (or by other ways, such as being killed by an attacking aircraft while surprised on the surface or by deck gun fire... but.. I seem to recall that a very small few, did. Looks like I might go digging through info & history to check on that...

It may be possible, to go back to a save prior to being awarded or accepting the Type XXII & just staying on with the Uboat you had at that time... I leave that up to you to do or not do... that is , provided you do have a save just before docking.

I do wish you success, Herr Kaleun WH4K...

Fair winds, smooth seas & plentiful targets.

M. M.