View Single Post
Old 10-19-23, 12:05 PM   #29
saintkas
Swabbie

Downloads: 73
Uploads: 0
Default Graphical solutions in the days before computers

I fell in love with the idea of the Submarine Attack Course Finder (Is-Was) 40 some years ago after reading and watching the movie Run Silent Run Deep. As you can see I come from the pre-computer generation which is also the generations around WW I and WW II, the Silent Hunter 3 and 4 game timeframe. I spent 23 years in the Navy and am a submariner, dolphins and all. I remember when the Squadron Admin Dept. got so excited about the new typing machine they had gotten that stored what you typed electronically and you could edit without using an eraser and correction fluid.

In ROTC I had to take a course in Navigation in which we learned the use of the paper and ruler maneuvering board, yes the one with all the circles. The maneuvering board was a great advance because you could graphically solve trig problems and not have to use trig tables and logarithms. The next step forward in the targeting solution problem was the Is-Was which then became the TDC.

Even in the Silent Hunter 4 game the TDC is much more powerful than I have seen it used on the various youtube videos and "Let's Play" videos. What I have usually seen is that people use the TDC as if they are aiming a gun.

Take a look at the Sublant and Subpac doctrine manuals and the OP-1442 & OP-1442A Torpedo Data Computer Mark 4 Ordnance Pamphlets which describe in detail how to use all the power of the TDC.
saintkas is offline   Reply With Quote