View Single Post
Old 02-12-18, 12:30 PM   #8
CaptBones
The Old Man

Downloads: 206
Uploads: 0

Default Maybe yes, maybe no...

None of you are crazy, me neither I hope. If you listen closely to the sounds of the engines and the bow wave, you can confirm that the sound sources are "backwards" in the control room, the conning tower and at the hydrophone station. But, they are correct on the bridge, at the deck gun and flak gun and in both periscope views (and the UZO IIRC).

I've just shrugged and lived with it for a long time; although I seem to recall that once-upon-a-time someone, somewhere (either this forum or one of the other SH4 forums) identified the problem as somehow related to a "camera" issue.

You'll notice that the boat's trim follows the camera direction at those stations; whichever direction you are facing is the direction the boat will trim down when diving or up when rising and is also how it follows the wave action. It's a bit awkward to turn and watch the depth gages and "Papenberg" columns, especially in a "crash dive"; the starboard side follows the planesmen's actions. Your boat takes a twenty degree starboard list on the way down and just the opposite if you blow ballast for an "emergency surface"...what a ride...hoo yah!

Anyway, it's beyond my poor talent, but maybe there is someone around who remembers the conversations regarding camera problems and remedies and some sort of "fix" can be applied, which will also take care of the sound source problem.
CaptBones is offline   Reply With Quote