View Single Post
Old 08-07-21, 06:37 AM   #6
tmoncmm
Swabbie

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0

I agree with efshapo. The inaccuracy at range is due to the increased difficulty in determining when the ship crosses the reticle. It would be difficult to account for that because it would be very subjective and also change according to visibility conditions.

My method is to use a quick 3 bearing calculation to get a rough corse estimate and then set a corse that puts me within 10 or so degrees of approach. When I get to within about 6000m I turn to a parallel corse. I then find a ship with kingposts and use that to refine my corse estimation while also making a speed calculation with the UZO. From there I try to refine my corse and speed to keep the target at 90 or 270. I also estimate range using the height method. Once I’m satisfied I have an accurate solution, I’ll speed ahead and set up my attack.

The thing I like about my method is that your pretty much always gaining ground and approaching you attack position. It doesn’t take very long to match their speed so you’re only not gaining for 15 or so minutes before you’re running ahead again. You’re also not falling behind. Plus once you have their corse matched, you can go ahead and set your TDC AOB settings and the TDC will automatically update it as you change corse. By the time you reach your attack position, everything is set and ready to go. I find this method to be accurate enough for good success. Since range is not a huge factor within about 2000m, I find you can attack pretty much any target with success as long as you keep the gyro angel within about 15 degrees of 0.
tmoncmm is offline   Reply With Quote