View Single Post
Old 11-29-20, 06:11 AM   #22
ceh
Sailor man

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny-Dog View Post
Now, the issues I have with the development...
The progress made since the release, is in my opinion minimal. Except from a few enhances/changes (bots being the biggest change), we have essentially the same game as when it was released.
This is the bane of developer work. So, so much work that's "under the hood" (or below the bilge?) never gets appreciation (I'm lacking a better word now, not native, sorry - I don't mean that we as users need to praise that work or smth) that we (developers) often get criticized by end users for "not showing progress".

Please trust me when I say that such work is imperative, and it shows the benefits in the long run. Shortening (yes!) overall time to completion, improving stability etc. Look up "technical debt in software development" if you are interested, it might offer a new perspective.

It is beautiful that Neal seems to understand that, and lets the developers plot the course. From my professional experience as a developer, I can say that it's a blessing. Quite a few projects that I worked on suffered from the opposite. Rushing to release something, regardless of the state of it, never benefited the end user.

I do understand your concerns, one of which I'm not in the position to address (hours worked), but all I (we?) can do is have faith. If, in the end, it turns out I was naive, eh... won't be the first time. Nevertheless, I'm willing to try to be positive

Also, bear this in mind: we all paid 30€ or so for the game. How many of us? Not hundreds of us I think (btw, is that info publicly available @Onkel Neal?). I don't believe that the income generated from sales is enough to fund development that spans this much time. So, someone is in the red, in order for us to enjoy this game. We should appreciate that.