View Single Post
Old 11-09-19, 12:08 PM   #288
Skipper44
Swabbie

Downloads: 21
Uploads: 0

I had been playing SH5 with TWoS which is really just outstanding and I think holds up well even with newer titles like Cold Waters, Wolfpack and Uboat.
Ultimately though, none of the new sims are set in the Pacific.

I think that the Pacific is a better campaign, and with RSRDC SH4 is able to model it pretty well. The air threat, surface threat, ASW capabilities and convoy system of the IJN change in interesting ways whereas I think in the Atlantic the Allied supremacy becomes simply overwhelming and your tactical possibilities are extremely narrow after the spring of 1943. In the Pacific, operating off the DEI in 1941-2 is nearly a different game from sampan busting in Home Waters in '45. Your choice of basing also changes the game in a bigger way than moving 100km down the French coast from Lorient to Saint-Nazaire.

I think the size, speed, range, weapons suite and EW capabilities of the Fleet Boat present markedly different challenges and opportunities from the Type VII U-Boat. I like having a larger crew although I'm not sure if I prefer crew management in SH4 or SH5.

Silent Hunter 5 is a decade old, but I think the visuals and features, especially with TWoS make for an all-time great sub sim. I'm willing to trade all of that for Silent Hunter 4's Pacific setting which is why I still play it.

If anyone at Ubisoft is listening, I would buy a Silent Hunter 6 that was the exact same engine as 5 but set in the Pacific. I can't imagine it would cost much to develop but it's just outside the scope of what modders are able to do. I can't promise they'd sell 300k copies like the original title in the series, but the simulation market is still there. DCS and IL2 do big numbers, Arma 3 was a success and Uboat, Cold Waters and Wolfpack show the sub sim market is still here.

Until there's another Pacific sim , I'll keep playing SH 4.
Skipper44 is offline   Reply With Quote