Old 08-17-08, 02:20 PM   #230
lurker_hlb3
Admiral

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigone
This mod is going to be a lot of fun.

I started a new career (Type VIIC, March 1942, 7th U-Flotte), and was assigned a patrol in the Southern Caribbean, near Curaçao. That's extreme long range for a Type VII, and I only made it there and back by chugging along at 6 knots. It made for a long patrol, something like 65 or 70 days, almost all of that in transit. I completed objectives on two patrol stations but had to ignore third (all in the Caribbean) due to my fuel levels. Also (possibly significant), during the entire time, I only encountered one enemy vessel, while I would have expected that patrol area to be fairly lousy with them.

Starting my second patrol in June 1942, I again got assigned to the southern Caribbean. This simply doesn't ring right to me. While a handful of Type VIIs operated in the Gulf of Mexico (a slightly shorter patrol radius), the large majority were Type IXs. The Type VIIs were never designed for such a combat radius, and rarely assigned to really distant patrol areas.

So is there any particular reason that my U-355 is getting sent so far? Is it just bad random luck, a glitch in the campaign software or does Onkel Karl just think I look good with a tan?

Same question for the almost complete lack of targets on that first patrol -- just bad luck, or a glitch in the campaign?

Thanks,

Andy

http://www.uboat.net/maps/caribbean.htm

Note: U654 U615 U759 U94 U359