View Single Post
Old 12-16-20, 12:47 PM   #13
ikalugin
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 8
Uploads: 0

No, I just did not know what FBM stands for, I am but a man, can't know/keep in mind everything. My guess was that it is SSBN related. What does it stand for?

As to the Russian SSBN force - you can see composition and readiness here:
Green is for ready, yellow for refits and repair, maintenance, grey for reserves.
You can tell the class by project number (955 for Borei-I, 955A for Borei-II, 667БДРМ for Delta-IV, 667БДР for Delta-III, 941 for Typhoon)
You can tell the specific boat by tactical number, ie K-535 is Yuri Dolgoruki

Currently the core of the force is made out of Delta-IVs, no idea why you were mentioning Typhoons as they were irrelevant for over a decade.

Known patrol/launch areas are outside of the territorial waters, in Barents/Okhotsk seas (which can be shallow, sure), there has been a return to constant at sea patrols in the recent years (around ~1/6 on patrol rate). I would guess from your reference to Typhoons and Kursk that your views on the topic are outdated by 10 to 20 years.

Same applies to exercises and training - you could see this by looking at where the launches were, for example for Grom-2019 and Grom-2020 exercises. They included launches from both Deltas and Boreis.

The hotline part is just incoherent to me, data on launches is shared separately, through data exchange centers (http://www.kremlin.ru/supplement/3201) which are a product of 1980s agreement. Not sure how fiber optics come into play here considering other (ie space borne) comm channels.

Last edited by ikalugin; 12-16-20 at 01:13 PM.
ikalugin is offline   Reply With Quote