View Single Post
Old 08-18-19, 06:19 AM   #67
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakken View Post
Shoot... I am currently on a bad weather stretch right now, so most of my interception are through hydrophones until I reach a visual of < 1000 meters.
Well, you can do a makeshift intercept with the ausdampfverfahren just to get in range. Since you cannot see the target you cannot measure the AOB. So you cannot figure out it's actual speed and course. But if you try to manoeuvre your boat to get the target on a constant true bearing (heading) you have made your intercept. So at each hydrophone check look up the bearing on the white ring of the station, or add relative bearing to current course. Chase the target bearing drift until it is constant. If the bearing drifts away from course, turn towards it a bit. If it draws to your course, turn away a bit.

You wouldn't want to do this submerged for the hole run. Your batteries would be dead before you make visual contact. (aside from that it would take ages and may never even happen) Surfaced with own speed at 18 kts you only need to lead your course by 30 degrees max for the faster targets/convoys (9kts). Proportionally less for slower targets if you expect that to be the case. Doing hydrophone checks will slow down your average speed of course. So you may need to adjust for that. lead_angle= inverse_sine( expected_target_speed/average_own_speed) But with the distances in Wolfpack (edit: whoops, I forgot this is in the SH3 section) involved you may not need to do many hydrophone checks.

Still, shooting torpedoes based on that is out of the question. The range is too far and you can't see what you are aiming at. Besides, you don't know yet if it is moving away or towards you.

Last edited by Pisces; 08-18-19 at 06:38 AM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote