View Single Post
Old 03-12-10, 03:08 PM   #14
wamphyri
Lieutenant

Downloads: 40
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by pythos View Post
Someone stated something people do not seem to get.

Planes were not used to attack until later. Hurris, spits, and so on WERE NOT EQUIPPED to attack U boats!!..They radioed your position to surface units, which in turn b-lined their way to the reported position. Or Merchants would get re-routed.

It was not until late 42, and early 43, that planes became a real threat, namely that monster the Sunderland.

Try this when you spot a British plane call all stop, and then go to high TC. I will bet, you will get pounced on by a destroyer or other warship.

Another thing. Spotting subs in a fighter was not easy. They are small, and do not leave that much of a trail at low speed. Some mods of SH3 made the attack frequency from fighters so unrealistic it made the game unreal. Just because a fighter was in the area did not mean the pilot sees your boat.

Donitz's book states that most of the early losses were due to surface action, including ramming. Planes were not a real threat until the time frame I have stated.

On that note, if a boat got spotted by an avenger, or Swordfish....they were pretty screwed, Swordfish = torpedo, Avenger = DEPTH CHARGES, large ones, and a torpedo. Catalina, and Sunderland = death in shallow waters, and a pounding in deep waters.

Please modders keep this in mind when dealing with air threats.
This is in the stock game. The only planes that will attack appear around mid '42 and I believe they are all based on the sunderland model (many planes use the same models .. just different names).

I also have reason to believe that planes from an airbase only report the contact to their airbase, and in the campaigns most of the airbases only spawn hurricanes. That's why when you get a plane flying over you'll soon see many more flying over roughly the same patch of sea as the airbase sends out more planes to where a contact was sighted. With the medium and large airbases this would be big trouble as they can send out the sunderlands and other baddies, but you have to get spoted by a plane from that airbase.

But at the moment all of this is moot really. There are so many glaring bugs with the game that even tho I'm going to keep working on this I don't really recommend anyone use it yet. I'm hoping for another patch or 2 so they cah fix many of the things wrong with the planes and the Flak gunner.
wamphyri is offline   Reply With Quote