Old 12-13-21, 12:24 PM   #364
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

30 August 1942
Is it too early to have a Turkey Shoot?

Burma and Thailand
A heavy cruiser led task force shelled Moulmein, where most of my fighters are based. The damage included a Hurricane destroyed on the ground, which would be the only Allied aircraft loss caused directly by enemy action today.

We adjusted our sweeps from Tavoy to the armies in the mountain pass leading to Bangkok. We shot down 16 Zeroes with no losses.

The enemy attacked Moulmein -- we shot down 3 Zeroes and 6 (of 9) Vals with no losses. Flak got another Val. This was the first sighting of the D3A2 version of the Val, which in my opinion is a downgrade due to reduced range. It is significantly faster than the A1, though, so in theory more survivable. 8/1942 is its normal arrival date, so it does not appear Japan invested significant R&D into this.

The enemy attempted paratrooper attacks at three bases around Rangoon, two of which were unoccupied and he was able to take. The third was Moulmein, the enemy was wiped out there and 4 of the aircraft were shot down. I don't think the enemy landed in numbers significant enough to pose a problem (just a couple hundred so far, maybe more arriving tomorrow). One of the bases is completely insignificant; the other severs my supply line to the south but it's not like I can't just take it back. I think he's hoping I've committed so much to Thailand that my defenses here are poor. They're not.

CENTPAC
Halsey shelled Canton with his heavy cruisers and a few destroyers, and launched an airstrike from the Lexington; each caused heavy casualties on the ground, effectively neutralizing one of the two SNFL units guarding Canton. This more or less eliminates any immediate risk of my Marines being overrun on the beach. It doesn't get us to the point where we can win yet.

With the KB leaving Shortlands yesterday, it could be here in as little as 2 days. Consistent with that, SIGINT intercepted transmissions right on the edge of a PBY search area east of the Solomons, right where we'd expect the KB to be if it was headed east. I'm going to give Halsey one more day of playtime and then it's GTFO. The heavy task force supporting Canton has rearmed and is also heading back to shell them again, but they'll be cutting it close. I also have marine regiments available in Pago and Johnston that I can send here to put us over the top, but they'll be holding off until I can be confident they won't be sunk at sea.

I'm putting one sub on the likely direct route east if that is the KB, several more are in the area trying to act as tripwires.

South China Sea
The O20 sank the minesweeper that attacked it yesterday. I guess I'll have to put more mines here, pretty win-win if they're going to send minesweepers here to die.

Japan
USS Swordfish was bombed by an ASW aircraft in the Okinawa-Kyushu gap. This is further out than the enemy has previously had any aerial success and may signal the end of one of our most lucrative patrol areas. Swordfish is RTB for repairs.

Malaya
Tomorrow...

EDIT: Sumatra
In response to an opponent inquiry, I've calculated the time until Palembang hits 0 supplies: 49 days, October 19th. I'm just telling him "substantially less than 3 months" since 3 months is what he said would cause him to quit the campaign.

Refits, Repairs
Ramilies has been delivered safely to Colombo, the destroyers that brought it in are turning around and bringing Revenge to Cape Town, doglegging north to avoid the enemy sub presence.

SS Skipjack taken out of commission to begin refit at Dutch Harbor
-----------------------

Aircraft losses:

Last edited by Molon Labe; 12-13-21 at 06:22 PM.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote